When did birth become such a medical process? Does medicine need to intervene sometimes? Sure! But not as much as it does. The medical community has put birth into this catagory....it's not a natural process anymore, it's an inconvienance that is forced to fit a mold and schedule.
THANK GOD FOR MIDWIVES AND THE NATURAL MOVEMENT!!!!
I'm so sick about the c-section rate in the U.S. The rate of women without supportive doctors. It's beyond aggravating. And the drugs these babies are getting.....because of the drugs mommies are getting.....
Don't get me wrong, I'm not judging....both of my kids were c-section babies and were drugged because of my spinals. Unnecessary.
But women are forced to labor on their backs, in bed, without being able to rock, work their way through the pain....they are induced.....no wonder most women choose an epi! The pain is too much laboring on your back!!
Justin and I have talked about this a lot here lately. When we have our third child we will be having a home birth. I have found a midwife that supports our decision. So, when it is our time for another child we are going to do it the way we want. My husband and I are going to labor together, work through the pain together, push our baby out together. We are going to do that without any medical intervention unless absolutely necessary. I'm going to go into labor on my own, whenever GOD decides the baby is supposed to be born....not when it is convenient for my OBGYN.
I have always felt like such a failure for having 2 c-sections. For being induced and drugging my babies. I felt so much pressure from family and friends and my OBs schedule that I caved. Isn't that awful? Family, Friends and OBGYNs should be supportive, not counterproductive. Both of my girls were born too early, they both were VERY colicy and had a hard time sleeping...maybe if they would have stayed in the womb longer their little systems could have developed enough. I'm not dwelling in the past but It won't happen again. Not for me!!
I was blessed to attend my sisters birth. And let me tell you that watching Bailey be born was one of the most amazing things I have ever seen in my entire life! Truly! And what happened to Ash? She gets in, hooked up to monitors, and IV put in, even though she didn't want one, and she had to labor on her back, instead of being up, moving like she wanted. THANK GOD she had a VERY quick active labor!!!
I'm sorry to "go off" on the subject. But it's such a passion of mine. I do so much research daily on the subject of VBAC and VBA2C, of doulas, home birth, water birth, midwives, etc. I love when new research comes out to support the natural movement. Why can't women have births the way they want? Why can't women have births in water? At home?
Ok, Now I have to go do homework!
~Blessings~
4 comments:
i feel the same way! our #3 will also be a home birth! we are trying too;)! i had guice at vandy with the midwives b/c it was in a hospital i still received unwanted interventions. anyway #3 will be at home, God willing!
jess
Leslie, I respect your opinion about all the medical intervention in childbirth. Being a labor and delivery nurse in a hospital setting I have seen both sides of this.
I am concerned about a home birth for you though. After 2 c/s's already you are at such a higher risk for complications related to that especially since you haven't had a vaginal birth. Uterine rupture is the one that sticks out in my mind. Your uterus is much weaker at the spot of your incisions from previous c/s's and that incision site can rupture open on the inside. You have youth on your side, but I do hope that you are very, very careful and that the midwife you have chosen has enough knowledge to know an emergency if she sees one so that you can get to the hospital quickly if you need to.
Again, I respect the decision you have made, but oh honey you make me nervous. If you were my sister I would want you to be in a hospital for your delivery. I don't know a lot about the hospitals down here, but I would think you could find one that would honor your wishes for labor. Not all hospitals make you "labor on your back." I have worked at 2 hospitals that encourage women to be up and moving however they like. We discourage being in bed.
Good luck to you whenever you are in the situation. Please be careful.
Christina Anderson
Leslie, Congratulations on your pregnancy. Please be careful. I respect your choice of wanting to attempt a VBAC, but at least consider it in a hospital setting or birthing center with your midwife. It is a huge risk for yourself and the baby. There are many centers and hospitals that will work with the birth plan that you want. Just be very vocal about your wants and needs. I was told that the risk of rupture was too high after just one C-section with Garrett to attempt a VBAC with Tara. I would trust my and have trusted my OB with my life. And she recommended another C-section because the risk was too high. Just be careful.
Jessica
Did I miss something?!? :) Are you preggo!?!
Post a Comment