Thursday, March 5, 2015

Girl Drama

Today's thoughts come from my oldest daughter.  I have a tween, and she has been experiencing a tremendous amount of girl drama this year.  I have really struggled with how to handle this with her because I am torn.  Part of me wants her to learn to deal with it because there (unfortunately) ALWAYS going to be mean people out there.  But the other part of me wants for her to learn to be compassionate and love, even though some people are just harder to love.

Recently, we've been dealing with a friend who does not want to be my daughters friend anymore.  Hey, that is ok, friends change constantly when you are young.  But it is REALLY bothering my girl.  Sometimes this other girl says things that are mean, or gets other classmates involved in private disputes.  It is tough to stay out of it and it is tough for my girl to come home every day and have another issue she has dealt with. 

Growing up is very....HARD.

I try to talk with my girl about these things and we pray for this friend.  I want to be honest with my daughter, and comfort her.  I want her to know that what she is experiencing is very normal.  But it saddens me to no end that the girls in her class/grade aren't building each other up, they are tearing each other down.  I have encouraged my daughter to take a step back from this friend.  Not to ignore, but to love this friend from afar, and hopefully, things will settle down.

Do you have daughters dealing with this kind of drama?  How do you encourage and build up your daughter without tearing down others?

 photo coollogo_com-98272554.png

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Sorry you are having to deal with this, but I think you are handling it correctly. She needs to know how to stand up for herself, know her self worth. They aren't going to be friends with everyone and especially now friendships change a lot. I tell mine that your real friends won't leave you or be mean to you, so learn to "see" that and hold them closer. It's hard growing up and as a parent you want to make it all better, but these are life lessons that will make it easier down the road. Big hugs for your girl. <3

Jennifer Fleming said...

I have not had to deal with girl drama maybe because my girl in this grade is a shy quiet type. But we have this same issue with the boys of this grade and it's hard as a mom to watch you baby get hurt.