Thursday, January 1, 2009

New Year's Resolutions!

I usually don't make New Year's Resolutions. If I do, I never keep them and it's always the same, to loose weight or to quit smoking, when I did smoke. To be more organized, budget better, eat healthier, etc. Sigh....

But this year I am making one. I've read that it takes about 30 days to create a new habit. So I'm not setting my expectations too high. But I have high hopes I can become a more patient person. Specifically with my children.

I pray for patience daily, sometimes multiple times a day. It's something I struggle with. I have high expectations for my daughters, and I'll be honest, a lot of them are unrealistic right now. Maddy is JUST 4 and Izzy is JUST 21 months old. They are still babies and yet I find myself expecting Maddy to remember things that I can't even remember, or expecting Izzy to know NOT to do something. And it just isn't fair for me or them. I get frustrated when my expectations are not met, and it is not the girls' fault.

So, hopefully, with a lot of tongue biting and hard work I will become a more patient mother. I want my children to be well rounded, to be loving and caring. But they can't get that with a mommy that stays on their tails all of the time. I need to make time to play, just play. But most importantly, I need to learn to be ok with mistakes, with imperfections, with childhood.

You know, with the children I teach, I'm able to look at those children and understand their ages and know what to expect for them, and know what not to expect. But for some reason I have a hard time doing it with my own children....maybe because I want them to be so much better than I am, was or ever could be......

I pray that God walks with me on this path, this journey, a lifelong journey. And I pray that God walks with you on your path over this next year!

~Blessings~

No comments: