Saturday, while hubby was out of town, I went and ran my bazillion errands by myself while the girls hung out with my parents. I ran by Barnes N Noble (my all time favorite book store) and picked up a GREAT book!
When Your Kids Push Your Buttons and What You Can Do About It by Bonnie Harris.
It's truly been a GREAT read. I've been having a lot of parenting issues here lately. I know that it's me. I know that my daughters are VERY strong willed and I also know that I am not handling their bad behavior well.
This book is really opening up my eyes. I'm being able to take a step back and look at the girls behavior in a different way. Why is Izzy screaming? Why is Maddy whining? What do they need that they are not getting? What is there agenda, what is my agenda?
It's been fabulous. Last night I read a huge portion last night and am still not done, but I've read a lot and I'm loving it!! Today was a great day. It was not perfect, but it was so much better. The girls behavior was not perfect, but I handled it differently, I looked at WHY they were acting out, and stayed calm and realized what they REALLY needed. That they were not being silly because they liked it!! And I felt so much better too! I feel more in control, I feel like they felt more included, more loved today. This has been great...I'm so thankful for this book!
And it isn't a put the blame on anyone kind of book, it's a get to the root of the issue kind of book. It focuses on all age groups, so the book works for my almost 2 year old to my 4 year old, and even teenagers!! And it gives real life examples of the author's own students and their struggles, and a ton of them I've been through as well!!
Anywho! School has started and I have to get back to it. But I had to give my ringing endorsement to Mrs. Harris!!
~Blessings~
1 comment:
Hi Leslie! I just joined blogger and was looking through PW to see if anyone else had a blog. You were the only one I could find :( Anyway, hope all is well with you and the little one!
Post a Comment