Maddy had a great birthday party yesterday. A lot of her friends came and dressed up and they ran around like mad women! We had cake and snacks and opened lots of Hannah Montana gifts. It was great!!! I think this was the funnest birthday by far!
Last night I was opening her things and putting stuff away and I opened up the Barbie clothes she got. They were super cute outfits with matching shoes, purses, scarfs, and even a cell phone and a coffee cup! While the things were in their packages you couldn't tell that they were risque. Which is why I'm not upset with the person who bought them! There is no way they knew they were buying inappropriate outfits because they looked so cute in the packages!! They just looked like super cute outfits! So tonight we were playing with them and WOW. They all were low cut, V neck, showing tummies, low cut pants, short short skirts, I mean OMG!! There wasn't one outfit that was appropriate! The dresses were so short that the barbies couldn't bend over without showing it's bottom, and were so low cut the chest kept popping out. And the shirts all were low cut and showed the barbies tummies. Which Maddy didn't understand at all why she could have barbie clothes that showed tummies when she couldn't show her tummy. Sigh. Even though she got some amazingly cute outfits, I'm going to have to put them all up!!
I asked Justin if I was getting old. He said No but that Matel wasn't in the market for conservative clothing. And of course I replied that I didn't understand how mommies could buy such risque outfits for their daughters dolls. That their daughters, that my daughters would think it would be ok to actually dress like the barbies do. And what was the attire promoting? S-E-X.
I'm so upset by Matel. I'm going to have to try to find more appropriate clothing for my kids Barbies. Or better yet, make some of their own clothes that are long enough, don't show tummies, aren't low cut, etc....You can look cute, and so can your Barbies, without dressing inappropriatly.
Any suggestions on where to get appropriate Barbie clothes?
~Blessings~
1 comment:
Fulla is a Barbie like fashion doll that has more appropriate clothes that could be used for Barbies. She was designed as a Barbie alternative for Middle-Eastern countries where daughters are to dress more conservative. Her clothes are still modern and colorful but skirts always fall below the knees. Clothing items available include skirts, swimwear, and even lingerie. However Fulla's clothes do not include anything revealing. Few are sold in the United States, but I am sure they could be found easily on the internet. This would also be a great opportunity to introduce the girls to other cultures, countries, and religions. Good luck!!
Post a Comment