Wednesday, November 5, 2008

It's Over!

We have a new president elect. And I will be honest I'm so glad it's all over with. It's been great watching TV without any nasty commercials on about who will be the better president, senator, congressman, etc. And now if we could just get the politics off the news....haha ya right!

I am disappointed that John McCain didn't win. But I'm not surprised. I am very proud of Tennessee for voting for them though! I'm going to be completely honest on this post! I'm very nervous about Obama. There is so much that is negative about him, so much that is scary and unknown. I've been thinking about it all night and all morning. How are we going to fair over the next four years? What changes are going to happen? I know we will just have to wait and see because all politicians are guilty of saying one thing and then doing another. So we will see.

I truly hope that Obama exceeds my expectations. I hope he makes some positive changes with this country. But I'll tell you what. He better not touch my husbands 401k. He better not "spread the wealth" and he better not tax us anymore. Times are hard right now and Justin and I bust it daily, seriously bust it, so we can have what we have and I'll pitch a fit (yes probably like a 2 year old hehe) if he wants to take things away that we've worked so darn hard for. Last night a poll came out that said 60% of Americans, not 60% of republicans, 60% of AMERICAN's believe that their taxes will be raised under Obama. Sigh.

Don't get me wrong. I think our country is in a huge financial crisis. We depend on credit instead of cash. We make $600 and spend $1000. Instead of saving up and buying a car, we buy a car 10 times what we need and put it all on credit. And our government wants to bail us out, even though we have trillion dollar deficit! That is beyond wrong!

We need to get out of debt as a nation. We don't need to bail out companies that are going bankrupt so that they can merge with other companies. We don't need to bail out banks so that they can pay their CEO's and dividends. We shouldn't help those that got in over their heads. Do you know what happened when Justin and I got in over our heads? We sold stuff, we worked extra, and we got ourselves out of our mess. But we didn't ask for a bail out! And didn't need it! And I'm not in support of paying to help those that won't help themselves. (And yes I know these are Bush mistakes, thus the need for some changes!)

But I'm praying. That is all I know to do! I'm praying that this isn't the work of the devil. That this is God's plan and that we have to trust in his work. I'm praying that he gives us all the peace to get through our day-to-day and the strength to stand up for what we believe in! I pray that Mr. Obama takes this country to a good place, and brings us back to a nation that is respected and a nation that is welcome and comforting and home. That is my prayer!!

And hopefully this will be one of my last political posts. I don't like politics, it stresses me out! But I have to stand up for what I believe in!

God Bless You All!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would like to say finally it is OVER!! I will tell you I was planning to vote for Obama but over the last few weeks have been questioning my decision. I have prayed and looked for answers in the scripture. I finally came to the conclusion that McCain was the better man with the same values that I am trying to live by now. I don't believe in all of the things that either one stood for but I feel good about my vote for McCain. I will have to answer to God someday about all the decisions in my life. I am glad I voted the way I did. Some would be very disappointed in me or think that I am a crazy christian but that is their opinion.
Anyway, I read this post to Beth Moore's blog this morning. It really speaks well of the situation and what we should do as christians now that our country has a new leader. I hope you find it useful in your life.

Love,
Jessica

It is entitled a United Country.

To my beloved Sisters who I esteem so highly and consistently find to be part of the solution to our problems in the Church rather than the cause,

Please join me in praying for our President-elect Barack Obama, his wife Michelle, and his precious daughters, Sasha and Malia. Go with me before the Throne of our sovereign God and ask Him to grant wisdom from above to President-elect Obama and the indwelling presence and power of Jesus Christ. In the words of the Apostle Paul, "I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone - for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. This is good, and pleases God our Savior..."

Please also join me in the active and deliberate pursuit of unity and purity in the Body of Christ at this historical time in our country. I implore you in Jesus Name to have zero tolerance for prejudice whether it is regarding party-affiliation, color (whether you are Black, White, or Brown), economics or the like. Disagreement is not sin. Prejudice is. Satan has plotted events and planted attitudes that, should he be successful, will result in havoc. We must not stand for his schemes or cooperate in a single way. We would severely displease God and invite untold chastisement upon Christ's Church in our nation. Speak clearly to your children and graciously but emphatically draw a line in your work places and social circles regarding your stand against prejudice of any kind.

"Jesus knew their thoughts and said to them, 'Every kingdom divided against itself will be ruined, and every city or household divided against itself will not stand.'" (Matthew 12:25) A united house stands. A divided house falls. The devil has much to gain. But he also has much to lose.

We are the Body of Jesus Christ and we have an opportunity to show His character. This is our watch. We stand for what is right not from our feet but from our knees.

I humble myself before you and make these pleas under such bold direction of God that I could not resist it nor disobey it. He made it a fire in my bones.

I love and esteem you so much. Shoulder to shoulder, Dear Siestas. Let's leave not one inch for the enemy to come between us.
Posted by Beth at 6:42 AM 0 comments

Anonymous said...

Leslie - I really enjoy reading your blogs! You get me thinking. I agree with you that we need change for the economic crisis that we are in. And our government doesn't need to be bailing out these companies because they did this to themselves. It angers me so much to think about how people are so greedy now-a-days. That's all people think about - is how THEY can make more money for THEMSELVES. It's not always about that and I know you know that. I'm preaching to the choir! :)

BUT - I think in time that we will all see that President Obama will serve us proudly. And keep in mind that he really doesn't make the tax decisions and such - Congress and the House does that. So they are who to blame if we get higher taxes. Just to note - I heard Gerry House on 98 this morning say that there was a poll that said Americans thought BOTH candidates would raise taxes even though they said they wouldn't. I hope Obama doesn't!! But I guess they have to do what they have to do. I honestly believe that he is a respectable man who has good values. Do I agree with everything that he is for? NO! To me, all politicians are liars!! But you have to choose someone and this is where we are today. I pray with you that our country will be ok. I think it will, but we never know what lies ahead. Hope you and your family are doing well. Please post when you get your test results! I've been worried about you!! Take care girly!!

Danyell Fleming Shrum

Jennifer Fleming said...

it is inevitable that the taxes will go up no matter which canidate won. no matter who controls the house or senate.

Sabrina Pate said...

"Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God." Romans 13:1

leslie- i enjoy your blog and I am so challenged and encouraged by the woman you have become. good insight in this post... the verse above helps me make sense of our crazy lives in america today. in Daniel, God tells us he sets up kings and removes them. It is important to remember that God has a big ultimate plan and we arent to question the small parts of it, just to submit and worship Him.